So the moon entered the Capricorn constellation some time over the past day or two…it’s only January 13, and I’m already slightly behind schedule. In terms of setting goals last year based on the new and full moons—I missed quite a few months, as 2023 was not a good year…at all…for anyone.
One of the goals this year is to set goals for both the new and full moon each month, and try to accomplish at least half of them…or at least have ‘started’ half of them, as I usually have some ‘on-going’ goals (such as working through e-courses, reading, or trying to listen to podcasts).
So, back to the first new moon of the year, which is moving through the Capricorn constellation, and according to “Moonlogy: Working with the magic of lunar cycles” by Yasmin Boland, there are several things that one can do during this time:
- Plan for the next year
- Be ambitious with your plans for the next year (or few years)
- Be kind (to both yourself and others)
- Cede control (don’t micromanage or manipulate others)
- Establish traditions (also working on your reputation [both personal & professional])
What is nice about life under the Capricorn constellation—all items listed above can be accomplished without having to be in ‘crowds’—since there are variants of COVID that are popping up again, it’s winter, and I’m not much for large gatherings currently.
There is another aspect of the moon cycles—and that is the zone (which is associated with your signs [there are your star, rising, and moon signs]). I usually do all my predictions using my rising sign: Scorpio, though I could do it with my star sign (which is Virgo), or even my moon sign (which is Pisces). Just like the constellations, we pass through each zone twice each year (once for the new moon and once for the full moon).
So this new moon in Capricorn is entering my third house, or my communication zone. This is the time to concentrate on communication, and spending time with friends and siblings. So there are several things that one can do during this time (again I’m taking this from “Moonology”):
- Take a public speaking course
- Read the books you’ve got stacked up
- Take a short trip
- Hang out with your siblings
- Study a foreign language
- Really listen to others
- Write those letters you’ve been putting off
Well…while we technically aren’t in the middle of a pandemic (we’re in the ‘endemic’ stage)…money is tight, so there are still a few things that probably won’t be happening:
- Hanging with siblings…though this deals more with the older sibling who lives out of state..I see my younger sibling a litte more frequently, since he lives in town
- Taking a short trip. While I’ve gotten my vaccine & one booster shot–money is an issue, and truthfully, while there are plaecs I’d like to visit..they can wait until I can afford to travel and it’s warmer.
- Taking a public speaking course…this is on this list due to money, and the new COVID strain running around.
Therefore, if I were to combine the two lists and create goals from them, my goals will include:
- Developing my vision of where I want to be in 3-to-5 years in regards to my freelance/blogging & crafts businessses. In addition start drawing out the ‘road-map’ to get there.
- Finish reading at least one of the non-fiction books I’ve started
- Finish at least one module of a e-course
- Start refreshing my Spanish again (or start learning Arabic) using Mondly
I know what I want to do with my future—a combination of freelance science/health/medical communications/education along with the crafts/hobby/personal/professional growth blogging and potential monetizing of selling crafts. Last year had so many stumbling blocks that I only got certain ‘pages’ up and live towards the year. I have numerous ideas—I just need to get them all down on paper, mindmap/brainstorm, and then pick different projects that I can move between (say blog posts, creating infographics, posters/slide-decks and so forth).
That also means I need to develop (and stick) with a good posting schedule for the blogs, and different social media sites…plus start writing on other sites (such as Medium). Currently, one hurdle I’d dealing with—is trying to edit as I write. While I logically know I need to write, take a break and then come back and edit…I’ve fallen back into the semi-bad habit of trying to edit as I write…which makes things go three times as long.
2024…a new year…but continuing in the direction of freelance work, possibly remote (a steady paycheck would be nice for awhile), and becoming better at time & project management. Things I’m going to try to ‘shed’ this year—-the negative self talk, the self-doubt/comparing myself to others, and working at ‘taming’ my inner critic/imposter syndrome (‘Carla’)…
I forget what words I’d chose for 2023…they could have been similar to the words I’d chose for 2021 and 2022. While I’m keeping a few of those words, I’m adding a new word for 2024: authenticity; the other words are growth, creativity/curiosity, and prosperity.
What word (or words) have you chosen for 2024?